Must Have Supplies For MY Natural Hair

This quote best sums up this blog post "Knowledge is Power" - Francis Bacon

Growing up the most I knew about my hair was that it was the colour black, think and long.  Not sure how often my hair got washed but I dreaded going to wash my hair at the stand pipe or river. The islanders should know what im referring too.  There was alot of  labering & tugging like it was a dirty mat trying to get clean lol. I only had a soft brush and a comb.

If you've always been natural, transitioning or did the big chop then there are some staple products/supplies you will need to get. I got most of what I use in Jamaica while I was there but thanks to the recently opened "Diamond Girl" store on Lower Bay Street,  Kingstown, St. Vincent. You should be set and ready to go along this journey with me.

I used basic supplies that was cheap lol or accessible to me at the time. This post highlights MY supplies i'm currently using. There are different varieties of some of these tools, you are not limited to only what I use. 

Supplies

  Wide tooth comb - are used to remove tangles and part the hair



Denman Brush


Rattail comb - for a more precise part use the rattail comb or create coils using a styling gel 


Spray Bottle - used to spray water into my hair but it can also be used to spray a combination of oils 

Bobby Pins - used to pin and hold down my hair (a must have)



Measuring bottle - use to measure liquids and apply apple cider vinegar to my hair


Hair Grip - used to section off my hair when i'm detangling, shampooing or combing my hair


Hair comb - used to style my hair


Elastic Bands- used to section of the hair or put into a bun




Shoelace - secret weapon if you have thick hair and the elastic bands wont do !!!!



Cutting Shears not paper scissors - used to trim my hair by removing any single strand knots


Silk cap to cover my hair as soon as I get home. It retains moisture, keeps my hair soft, and protected





Plastic Caps - used for deep conditioning, it retain heat and holds in moisture 

Note: I have since been using plastic bags because of my hair volume and lenght

N.B Self Motivation and Patience is KEY 

Basic skills in twisting your hair in 2/3 strands twists is helpful 
If you did a big chop or have a TWA then you only need a few of these supplies or purchase and save for a later  date.

I prefer not to entrust the health of my hair to anyone, I wanted to create my own style and document the process/development along the way. These tools have helped me greatly. 

Comments

Popular Posts